Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Melanoma is So Much More Than "Skin Cancer"



 "People think that skin cancer is just cut off. Melanoma is soooooo much more than that. I don't refer to it as skin cancer. It is malignant melanoma. I am stage 2 and was told that they got it all, but the facts are that one loose cell can go to my organs and grow undetected because I am not eligible for scans. Not a fun fact to have it brutally excised from my skin down to my muscle and then sent on my way to live the rest of my life in fear. I don't know how to get people to understand."  Melissa Collins
 








2 comments:

  1. I understand all too well. My primary was on my left shoulder blade area. I've had 10 biopsies since then with one coming back as pre-cancerous. Though some think I'm "too" scared about it coming back I don't want to be like my Brother-in-law who was convinced they got it all and could forget about it and get on with life. Approx 6 years later it had spread undetected to his lungs and his brain. There was nothing they could do for him. Keep up the good fight Melissa and keep trying to get people to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my surgery for stage 1 melanoma on my neck on April 12. I also had a clear pathology report after but it still scares me to death that it could still be there or come back!

    ReplyDelete