Thursday, June 21, 2012

UV Index

The UV Index provides a daily forecast of the expected intensity of ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. I check the UV index in my area daily and have since I was diagnosed with melanoma last year.  I believe it is an important tool.  You still should be using sunscreen every time you plan on spending time outside.  Even on cloudy days, the UV index can be high and UV rays can still do damage to your skin.


Check and see if your state is listed at http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/statefacts.html
 There are facts about melanoma and skin cancer per state with a map county by county of melanoma rates.  My state is Michigan.  Michigan Deaths from Melanoma- About 248 people in Michigan die of melanoma every year.  Since 1975, the melanoma death rate has almost doubled. WOW.

Take precautions against becoming a statistic!  Don't be like me! Protect your skin and it will protect you!

No comments:

Post a Comment